Thursday, August 27, 2009

My Gardening Challenge

This past week, I have been really serious about my garden. I'm expanding my bed of aloe vera, and I planted some sunflowers. It has given me so much joy over the last week, watching the sunflower sprouts growing steadily under my watchful eye, and seeing the potential I have for producing my own aloe for use in my bath and body products.

In our ever busy lives, we push aside small things like tending even the smallest flower, not realising what difference it could make. The joy I felt from seeing my plants come to life, to me, is worth a million dollars. I took some aloe leaves from the garden, extracted the gel, and used it in an all-natural facial mask with yoghurt and oatmeal. What a rewarding experience! I'm sold. Call me a tree hugger or whatever. I feel so fresh and so green, and I feel more alive than I've ever been. Growing your own organic produce is an extremely rewarding experience, plus it's better for your health and well being. Everyone needs to try it sometime, and it's great stress therapy too!

What do you need to start?
1. An area in your home with black soil
2. Gardening gloves (to protect your hands)
3. Garden tools (fork, spoon, rake, hose)
4. Access to water
5. Seeds or roots from other plants/trees

And you're ready to do some gardening! Fill your home with plants, trees, and flowers, and you will notice the air around you will feel cleaner and very fresh as the plants and trees produce Oxygen and absorb Carbon Dioxide from the atmosphere. The more plants and flowers you have, the more different birds and butterflies you can attract into your garden. You might get the worms and the snails too but don't banish them completely because they contribute to the fertility of the soil and the nutrients in the plants they fertilize. I'm off to turn on the sprinkler. Happy gardening!

No comments:

Post a Comment